How to share a concern or make a complaint

If you are unhappy with the care or treatment you have received, in the first instance, you should make contact directly with the person or service that provided the care.  If you feel you cannot do this, or would prefer not to, then please contact the customer care team.

Customer Care Team
Jubilee House
Lancashire Business Park
PR26 6TR

Freephone: 0800 032 2424
Telephone: 01772 777952

Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The customer care team will also provide you with a copy of the complaints procedure if required.