We are currently in the process of redesigning the Diabetes Services in Morecambe Bay, through a population health approach to the prevention and management of diabetes, focusing on 5 key areas:
PREVENT: Increasing community understanding of health and wellbeing to reduce the factors that might result in the likelihood of developing Type 2 diabetes
DETECT: This is to increase identification of individuals through better use of data, health checks and screening for Type 2 across all practices through focusing on detection and screening for those at higher risk.
PROTECT: This involves taking action to help prevent diabetes in higher risk individuals and communities
MANAGE: This is aimed at managing patients more effectively by providing care in the right place in the right time by the right people.
RECOVER: This is through helping people with diabetes to live a good life through continuous support.
Progress so far
- Developed a Population Health Framework for managing diabetes in Morecambe Bay at a system wide engagement event on 7 March 2018, which involved people living with diabetes working closely with clinicians and health professionals.
- A diabetes clinical model has been agreed through a number of engagement workshops with clinical specialists from the specialist diabetes service in the acute and community services primary care and service users.
The model will be implemented through a number of working groups focusing on :
- Improving the pathways for Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes
- Improving foot care for diabetic patients
- Ensuring appropriate lifestyle modification options are available for patients with prediabetes and diagnosed diabetes
- Increase the self-management of diabetes through building skills and expertise in the patient population
How can you get involved?