The ‘Macmillan Living With and Beyond Cancer in Morecambe Bay’ (LWBCMB) project aims to improve the quality of survivorship for cancer patients across the Morecambe Bay region.
People who have faced cancer regularly say that they feel cast adrift once their treatment is completed and frequent hospital visits stop, and that the standard follow up model provides little benefit in their long term return to health and well-being.
The LWBCMB programme aims to better provide for a patient’s individual needs via implementation of early and continued holistic support throughout the cancer pathway, enabling independent self-care via supported self-managed follow up.
The project team is working with acute, primary and voluntary providers in delivering more integrated care with a focus on improved collaboration between the sectors in meeting the needs of people affected by cancer.
A summary of the project goals can be found here.
Would you like to get involved?
Service users & carers, from a range of backgrounds, are essential in informing the direction of our future work, further information can be found here.
If you use cancer services and would like to get involved we are keen to hear from you. A variety of opportunities for contribution are arising through our ‘Menu of Opportunities’:
- Attending the Living With and Beyond Cancer Hub, where people affected by cancer can work with care providers to influence changes in cancer care.
- Learning and Sharing experiences of cancer survivorship with professionals through service user led events.
- Contribute in the recruitment of cancer professionals, bringing the patient perspective to the selection process.
- An Information Advisory Group which looks at getting the best out of the information that’s provided at diagnosis and afterwards.
- Involvement in peer to peer support through community led ‘Chatty Cafés’
So get involved a little or a lot!
A Series of Open Space Events – Final Report/Executive Summary
The final report of the series of Open Space Events held February – April 2017 is part of the Macmillan Living With and Beyond Cancer project in Morecambe Bay.
You can also read the executive summary here.
Health and Wellbeing Events in Morecambe Bay
A series of Health and Wellbeing events for cancer patients have been held across Morecambe Bay between October 2017 and May 2018. The outcomes report for these events may be found below:
Talking ourselves into a new normal
On the 6 October 2018 we hosted an event in partnership with active service users, to further highlight the challenges and opportunities for change under the Living With and Beyond Cancer survivorship agenda. Comments from those involved highlighted the following:
- They feel more willing to get involved and to use their voice to influence the development of services
- They feel more able to share their experiences with others
- They feel that it is possible to have some control over their own care
- “I think it is evident that there are things that can be done, albeit small things, that can help achieve a better journey for everyone.”
- “It was great to meet so many inspiring people. I would love to get involved with anything else you think I might be able to add value.”
- “Great to connect.”
The Living With and Beyond Cancer project ends in August 2019, however the Cancer Survivorship initiative will continue via the Lancashire and South Cumbria Cancer Alliance, backed by further investment from Macmillan and NHS England. More information on this and their Cancer Delivery Plan may be found on their website: https://www.healthierlsc.co.uk/canceralliance